The role of international military cooperation activity of the Ministry of Defense in ensuring military security of the Republic of Azerbaijan, which is situated in a location of intersecting interests of various states, between East and West, in Caspian-Black sea basin and in a complex geopolitical region as South Caucasus and which possesses rich energy reserves, during peace and wartime, as well as establishing partnership relations with military institutions of foreign states and international organizations within the framework of mutual interests is significantly important.
International military cooperation activity is conducted in coordination with the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and other relevant bodies of state administration, departments, organizations and institutions and in accordance with defense and foreign policy line of the Republic of Azerbaijan.
International military cooperation is also a complex of measures in the military, military education, military-political and military-technical areas carried out by the Ministry of Defense with the military institutions of foreign states and international organizations in bilateral and multilateral format.
Main areas on implementation of international military cooperation are the following:
• bilateral and multilateral cooperation with the nations of the region and beyond;
• cooperation with Euro-Atlantic structures;
• cooperation with international organizations and defense industry complexes of foreign states.
The objectives and tasks of international military cooperation:
The objectives and tasks of international military cooperation are defined by the national interests of the Republic of Azerbaijan and its defense and foreign policy.
The objectives of international military cooperation:
• to contribute to the peaceful settlement of the protracted conflict in occupied Nagorno-Karabakh and its adjacent territories of the Republic of Azerbaijan on the basis of respect for territorial integrity, the inviolability of borders and sovereignty of the Republic of Azerbaijan;
• to study an international experience and the ways of their application on the areas of activities of the Ministry of Defence;
• to strengthen mutual relations with the military institutions of foreign states and international organizations;
• to contribute to international and regional security;
• to enhance combat capability, and ensure mutual coordination with the armed forces of foreign partner states;
• to contribute to the strengthening of the military-political stance of the Armed Forces of the Republic of Azerbaijan in the international sphere.
The tasks of international military cooperation:
• to be a part of the process aimed at achieving the support of foreign states and international organizations on protection of the independence, restoration of territorial integrity and inviolability of borders of the Republic of Azerbaijan;
• to cooperate on defence issues in all necessary domains and areas with the military institutions of foreign states and international organizations, and enhance this process in order to contribute to national, international and regional security as well as the development of the Armed Forces of the Republic of Azerbaijan;
• to take part in scientific-research activities carried out together with international organizations and the military institutions of foreign states;
• to participate in the inspection activities within the Treaty on Conventional Armed Forces in Europe and the Vienna Document 2011 on Confidence and Security Building Measures;
• to cooperate with the world community and international security organizations on prevention, management, settlement, elimination of the consequences and regulation of crises and armed conflicts, as well conducting peacekeeping operations;
• to coordinate counteracting efforts against the threats to the military security of the Republic of Azerbaijan.
Participation in the international military exercises:
During 2017, military spersonnel of the Azerbaijan Army participated in various tactical and computer-assisted military exercises at the international and regional levels:
• “Platinum Eagle” – Romania
• “Caucasus Eagle” – Georgia
• “Platinum Lion” – Bulgaria
• “Agile Spirit” – Georgia
• “Vigorous Warrior” – Germany
• “TurAz Eagle” – Azerbaijan
• “REGEX-2017” – Jordan
• “Eternity-2017” – Georgia